How do I take care of my Invisalign aligners?
In order to benefit from the convenience and comfort of Invisalign, which uses clear plastic trays to reposition the teeth rather than traditional orthodontic appliances, patients must take on more responsibility for their treatment. This includes proper maintenance of the trays to protect your oral health throughout the course of your treatment.
Your dentist will give you specific instructions on how to take care of your Invisalign aligners, but here are a few general guidelines:
- Rinse your retainers after you remove them. Plaque and dry saliva can accumulate on them, and regular rinsing will help to clear away these bacteria-laden substances.
- Brush and floss your teeth before putting your aligners back in. This step also will cut down on bacterial buildup in the aligners and keep your teeth and gums healthy.
- Soak your aligners using the official Invisalign cleaning product, denture cleaner or retainer cleaner.
- Remove your retainers before eating so that you don’t damage them.
- Place your aligners in their case when you are not wearing them to reduce the likelihood of damage.
In addition to maintaining your Invisalign aligners, you must also be conscientious about switching the trays according to the schedule provided by your dentist. In order for the teeth to be realigned in the desired fashion, the aligner trays are designed to apply specific forces in a certain sequence, which will be communicated to you when you receive your trays. If you use the trays out of order, you may not achieve the desired outcomes.
Additionally, you also need to wear the trays for the amount of time recommended by your dentist, usually 20-22 hours each day. This will keep you on track to complete treatment in the anticipated timeframe.
We will give you thorough instructions on how to take care of your Invisalign aligners so that you get the optimal outcomes from your treatment. If you have any questions about this aspect of your treatment plan, please contact our team at Dallas Dental Concierge.