Pre-Operative Instructions for Sedation Related Procedures
Laughing gas only (light sedation):
- No food or liquids for at least two hours before your appointment.
- You will be able to drive yourself to and from your appointment. It is not necessary to have someone accompany you or stay with you upon arrival home.
Oral Sedation (medium) or Intravenous (moderate):
- No food or liquids, including water, should be taken by mouth for at least six hours before your surgical appointment. The only exception to this is if you need to take prescribed medicines during this period. Do so at the time you’re supposed to take these medicines, but with as little water as possible.
- Bring someone with you who can drive you home after your appointment. You cannot drive a vehicle until the next day. Minors must be accompanied by an adult.
- Someone must remain with you for at least three hours after surgery no matter how awake you feel. We will review surgery instructions with your ride before you leave.
- Try to get a good night’s sleep the day before your appointment-it will be helpful in achieving a smooth recovery.
General Pre-Operative Instructions:
- Dress comfortably: loose fitting clothes, short sleeve, button front shirts preferred (please no ties, or tight neck, high collar apparel).
- No contact lenses, tight clothing, tight shoes, jewelry, make-up or perfume/cologne.
- If you wear removable teeth, wear them to your appointment.
Because surgery time is so valuable, one week notice is required to change or cancel surgery appointment. Otherwise, there will be a $250 surgery set-up fee charged for the reserved appointment time. All moderate sedation fees vary depending upon length of dental procedure.
We will contact you the day before surgery to prescribe needed medication, review the above instructions and answer any questions. If you find you will not be available by phone the day before surgery, it will be necessary for you to call our office the week of your surgery for an early confirmation.
*Remember, feel free to call us with any questions before your surgery – even after hours! Is very important you understand adhere to the guidelines for surgery to ensure your comfort and safety.