Straighten Teeth Without Braces
The typical process for straightening teeth used to be with traditional metal bands and brackets. Adolescents, teens, and young adults endured the discomfort that accompanied the process so they could benefit from a straighter smile and healthier mouth. Now these same results can be achieved through a different process known as Invisalign.
The advantages of Invisalign over traditional braces are numerous:
- Invisalign is a method of straightening teeth using clear, plastic, removable aligners making them virtually undetectable.
- Being removable allows the patient to continue eating all the foods they love. With traditional methods of teeth straightening, many foods have to be avoided such as crunchy fruits and vegetables, crusty breads, and many snacks as they can bend or break the wires needed to keep the straightening process on track.
- Daily teeth brushing and flossing is made easier as the aligners are removed to perform these tasks.
- Although trips to the dentist are needed for cleaning and exams no matter what type of teeth straightening is employed, with Invisalign there are no barriers to the removal of plaque build-up between visits and to keep any potential decay in check as aligners are removed during these appointments.
- There are no metal bands or wires to cause abrasions to soft oral tissues.
- Athletes can use a mouth guard that will protect their teeth during activity … simply substitute the mouth guard for the aligner and switch back after sporting activity concludes.
Your orthodontist will take x-rays, impressions and photographs and submit to the Invisalign lab where a technician will fabricate a series of aligners that are designed specifically to address your needs. The aligners are updated about every two weeks to keep the straightening process moving forward. Much like the adjustment made to wires with traditional braces, the aligners are updated to keep teeth gently shifting to their correct position.
Invisalign aligners are only to be removed for eating and teeth maintenance. It is important to wear them twenty to twenty-two hours each day to achieve the desired results within the prescribed time.
Caring for aligners is simple … when not being worn, keep them in the case provided. They can be rinsed before replacing over cleaned teeth; to keep antiseptic and odor free there are special products that can be used, if needed.
If you are considering Invisalign to straighten your smile, schedule an appointment with our dental office at 214-522-4330 today.