Can you just wear Invisalign at night?
Invisalign is a method of teeth straightening that involves employing a series of clear plastic aligners to gently shift teeth to their correct position.
In order to get the maximum benefit from any teeth straightening program, consistency and following a planned regimen are critical to its success. Wearing braces only part time would not provide the needed steady treatment required to correct a malocclusion.
Some might argue that retaining devices are sometimes only worn at night, but a retainer is intended to keep what has already been corrected from returning to its original position. That is very different from corrective measures.
One of the outstanding features of Invisalign is the fact that they are clear, making them virtually invisible. Since they are made of transparent and soft plastic, wearing them for most of the day and all night does not present the same stigma and discomfort that metal braces might bring.
In order to get the maximum benefit from any teeth straightening program, consistency and following a planned regimen are critical to its success.
Other advantages to Invisalign:
- They are removable – this makes dental hygiene of daily brushing and flossing so much easier than with traditional braces.
- No foods are off limits – Since the aligners can be removed to eat, there is no limit to the foods that can be enjoyed during teeth straightening.
- No metal – this means there are no wires to break and poke and no abrasions from brackets rubbing up against soft mouth tissues.
- Important hygiene visits – With traditional braces, removing all the plaque build-up is not always successful. Invisalign makes it possible to keep teeth clean and polished, and the dentist can complete a thorough exam to catch any problems before they have a chance to escalate.
- Athletes – Many sports require the wearing of a mouth guard. With Invisalign simply replace the aligner with the appropriate mouth guard. When finished, exchange again.
With all of these advantages, wearing the soft, transparent aligners makes teeth straightening convenient and effective. However, the key is wearing the aligners twenty to twenty-two hours each day to maximize the benefit and complete treatment as outlined by your dentist.
Caring for the aligners is simple as well. Even though they will be replaced every two weeks or so, keeping them brushed and rinsed will keep them fresh preventing any bacteria from having a chance to grow. Bacteria can stimulate plaque build-up resulting in potential decay and bad breath.
Visit Dallas Dental Concierge to experience 5-Star dentistry in an atmosphere of care and comfort. For a limited time, we are offering a FREE* Sonicare Diamondclean Toothbrush (A $219 retail value) with your first visit; including exam, cleaning and x-rays. Just complete the form below and experience our quality of care. Give Dallas Dental Concierge a call at (214) 760-6035 with any questions or to schedule an appointment.